Thursday, December 4, 2008

'Tis the Season, I Think

The holiday season is often very busy for most florists, in fact a lot of the traditional bread and butter days start with Thanksgiving and roll on into Christmas, then Valentines Day, and everything finishes up with Mother's Day and Memorial Day.

Traditionally, that's true. Now, things are still in the process of changing and have been for the last 8-10 years in a drastic way. This year was no exception, and we had the added bonus of a Presidential election year (typically drives sales down), and the now supposedly official recession. All I can say is good thing for the wedding and sympathy sales this summer, which have been up every year for us.

I just wanted to hit on a few of the things that I've been involved with this fall and now winter. In October I attended and helped to produce the Utah Chapter of the Romance Writer's of America's annual conference. It was held at the Canyons Resort in Park City Utah. So beautiful!!! I know, this is about the flower bizz, and while we did of course have floral centerpieces at all the dinners, I mention this conference because I want to showcase part of our marketing efforts. Meet Maggie:

Maggie showed up at every room where an URWA session was to be held. She showed every one at the resort whether a participant of our conference or one of the four or so others, that the "Romance Writer's are Here!"

Maggie generated a tremendous amount of publicity for our Utah chapter, and for the Romance Writers of America. Everyone needs a Maggie for their business, of course it doesn't have to be a life sized doll, but something that will make people stop and say 'what's this all about?' This goes for flower shops, and tax service providers a like. Admit it, you have to look at the kid being paid to dance in front of the national pizza chain with the promotional sign.

On to December. Our business offers seasonal gift baskets to corporate accounts. Here are some photos of a recent large order that had to be done all in one night, as the product inside was more perishable than usual. Everyone got in on the act.



The video was just too cute not to share. I own and run a flower shop, but gift baskets are another niche for me. I really enjoy doing them, and I know how to design things, and to order and inventory perishable products, so its another source of income as well as a creative outlet.

I'll be honest, times are tough right now. I could sit down and cry because things are scary. Some might feel justified in doing this. Instead, I'm finding other ways to make a living, going down different avenues if you will. I might have to work harder for it, but business is out there!

Until next time, Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment